We are often confused about how to start blogging. Well, if you are one of them, then this article can be beneficial to you.
I got a lot of requests from viewers who wanted to know more about the different platforms that are ideal for blogging. The level of confusion is higher for beginners. If you are not a technical person, it might look horrifying to get started with it.
But, blogging can be effortless and more straightforward with so many platforms around us. You will be completely overwhelmed with the choices you will have in hand.
Today I am going to walk you through the different platforms where you can try out blogging. Each of these platforms has some features which make it a better option than the other. If you think any of these can be a good one for you, get started with it very soon.
Things to look for in a blogging platform
If you are wondering how to start blogging, you must know about a few things that a blogging platform should have. Some of these are below:
- The platform should be very user friendly. You do not want to get into the technical stuff involved. Lesser the tech requirements better it is.
- The platforms should be user friendly. It should not be challenging for you to figure out how to operate the platform.
- It should have enough features to use it for all kinds of work as and when required. The features should be good enough to let you grow over time.
- Do check about the policies or terms and conditions of the platform regarding earning. However, you might not start blogging with the hope of making. But, over time, if your blog goes well, you can consider monetizing it. For that reason, you must read the policies of the platform before getting started.
Top Platforms for Blogging
So, now let us dive into the different platforms and try to know more about it.
WordPress is an entirely free platform. You must have heard about wordpress websites. However, wordpress.org and wordpress.com are not the same.
WordPress.org gives you tons of features and flexibility because you will be hosting your site. But in the case of wordpress.com, the hosting and the backups are taken care of the company. So, wordpress.com is better for beginners who do not want to look after the hosting process.
WordPress comes with a ton of features. You can build anything in wordpress, whether it is a portfolio, a blog, a fashion store, an eCommerce store, or even a complete multi-niche website. You can add forms, contact details, visitor counts, and many more. There are thousands of plugins available which you can use as per your requirement. Firstly, you can plan out your design and then check out for plugins or inbuilt features which can be used to create that structure for your website.
You get complete control over your sit. WordPress.org has both paid and free versions. So, you can choose the suitable one. If you are new to blogging and want to start with it, then the free version is a lot better than the paid ones.
Disadvantages of using wordpress
- You need to maintain your site
- You will have to back up for your site
- The hosting company or the service company can help you with the services.
Next in my list is wix.com. The platform is free and fully hosted. You can simply choose the template which is all inbuilt. So, you have a lot of options when it comes to design. However, there are sure cons to this particular website.
Disadvantages of using Wix
- Even after you create your blog in wix the company or the brand name remains in the URL. So, it displays the branding.
- There are multiple advertisements on the site. However, you will not get the revenue which they generate by the ads. The company gets to benefit from those advertisements.
- Shifting to a different platform can be challenging. If you want to host it somewhere else, then that is very difficult.
Like I already said before, WordPress.com and wordpress.org are not the same. Here, the hosting is done by the company. So, as a user, you will be paying the company to take care of the hosting and the other processes. The overall look or feature is quite similar to wordpress.org. However, you cannot expect much flexibility as the company controls it. If you are using a paid version, you will have full control of your blog, use paid themes, and run advertisements in your blog.
Disadvantages of using wordpress
- You will not be the owner of your blog in the free wordpress version.
- You cannot run advertisements on your free blog.
- As you do not have full control so the company can shut it down whenever they wish to.
The next platform for a blogging platform is “blogger.” Google owns it. It is free and easy to use. As this is of google so it is very secured and much flexible to use. It has certain limited features. You don’t have control over your information or content. Though it is free, you don’t have the authority over the content. If they want, they can simply shut down the blog for their benefit.
Disadvantages of using blogger
- Limited functionality
- You are not the sole owner of your content
- The company can shut off your blog when they wish to do so.
The next platform is Tumblr. This platform is more like a microblogging platform where you can share audios, videos, and even images or other kinds of graphics. IT is integrated with social media so you can share your creation across social media sites. It is completely free and user friendly. It is a lot of fun to use Tumblr.
Disadvantages of using Tumblr
- It comes with limited features
- Shifting to a different platform is difficult
- You need to pay if you want a custom domain.
Medium is a great platform to start with blogging. It is free and easy to use. It is one of the largest platforms which promoted blogging content. The best thing about medium is that it already has enormous fanbase or a considerable number of viewers. As a result of this, your materials are being shared with people who have the same interests. So, you can simply focus on writing. There is nothing else that you will have to take care of here.
Disadvantages of using Tumblr
- It comes with limited options as you will not be able to add forms or designs or even make portfolios or eCommerce pages.
- Next, it is not your blog. The content might be yours, but the audience is not.
- You do not get to run ads. So, if you are looking to earn by blogging, this is not an option.
This is another excellent platform for blogging. They mostly promote small and large businesses to share their services. The platform has several templates and using simple drag and drop features; it will be easy to design the required blogs. Some advantages include the ease of creating blogs, and it is very efficient and flexible. The drag and drop feature makes it simpler to reach a more significant number of target audiences. Several people like its interface. You can make eCommerce platforms as well.
Disadvantages of using Smartspace
- It comes with limited features.
- It is a proprietary platform.
- It does not have many integrations with third-party companies.
So, here were the top 7 platforms that I feel are good for blogging. As you have already read the pros and cons, I guess you have a clear idea of which platform you should go with. I feel wordpress is a lot better option compared to others. But, given the user’s choice and requirement, you must pick the best out of all these.
If you want to add more names to this list, do not forget to comment below.